Low-Carb Courgetti Spaghetti
This is a super quick and easy recipe for a tasty lunch or dinner. You can whip up this dish in less than 10 minutes with minimal washing up to do once you've scoffed the lot. What's great about this recipe is that you can also chuck all the ingredients without cooking them into a food container to take to work with you and when lunchtime rolls around whack your container in the microwave for a 2-3 minutes, and voila, hot and healthy low-carb lunch!
I'm a big fan of courgetti as it's healthy and very versatile. I like to mix it with various leftovers I have in the fridge and take it to work for lunch. Whilst I'm not a total courgetti convert (sometimes a big bowl of pasta with a heap of cheese on top is the only thing that will cut it), I do like having courgetti for lunch; it's tasty, filling and I don't get that post-lunch slump I tend to get with carb-heavy lunches.
In this particular recipe I have paired my courgetti with goat's cheese, chorizo and cherry tomatoes, however I know this might not be to everyone's taste. Below I have given a couple of recipe suggestions if you're not a fan of goat's cheese or chorizo, or have certain dietary preferences or requirements:
Gluten-free and wheat-free option: the recipe below is already gluten-free and wheat-free but make sure to check that the chorizo you are using has no gluten/wheat-containing ingredients.
Dairy-free option: try mixing courgetti with cooked and shredded chicken breast, dairy-free red pesto, garlic, spring onions and basil.
Pescatarian option: try mixing courgetti with grilled and flaked salmon, a dollop of cream cheese, lemon juice and chopped dill.
Vegetarian option: try mixing courgetti with grilled halloumi pieces, vegetarian green pesto, cherry tomatoes and chopped basil. Falafel would also work well.
Vegan option: try mixing courgetti with roasted butternut squash, garlic and onions, smashed avocado and toasted pine nuts or sunflower seeds.
Top Tip: Throw all of you ingredients without cooking them (make sure to use pre-cooked meat/fish or cook these first) into a food container to take to work with you and when lunchtime rolls around whack your container in the microwave for a 2-3 minutes, and voila, hot and healthy low-carb lunch!
Specialist Utensils: If you have a spiralizer, then great! If not, you can use a normal potato peeler to make courgette ribbons instead.
Goat's Cheese, Chorizo & Cherry Tomato Courgetti
8-10 thin slices of chorizo (about 1/4 of a chorizo ring)
4-5 slices goat's cheese, crumbled into smaller pieces
5-6 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon olive oil
6-8 fresh basil leaves, torn
Salt and pepper
Makes: 1 portion
1. Rinse and dry your courgette before slicing off the ends. Spiralize your courgette or use your potato peeler to make courgette ribbons.
2. Slice the chorizo into thin slices, crumble the goat's cheese and halve the cherry tomatoes.
3. Heat a frying or skillet pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil and allow it to get nice and hot. Add your spiralized courgetti or courgette ribbons to the pan along with the chilli flakes and oregano and flash fry for a minute or two.
4. Add the chorizo slices, crumbed goat's cheese and cherry tomatoes to the pan and cook for another minute until the goat's cheese has started to melt and the chorizo is warmed through.
5. Transfer your low-carb courgetti spaghetti to a bowl and season with salt and pepper as you wish. Garnish with torn basil leaves and then dig in!